Sunday 2 May 2010

3:2010


This is my first commissioned quilt. 


Nothing too taxing - just 6" squares in pink, brown and orange.



I used some fabrics from my stash that were waiting for the perfect project and I bought some specifically.  I loved this fabric, which I used in Jasmine's quilt and used it as a starting block to build the quilt.  I love putting together lots of different fabrics and most of my quilts have about 20 or so fat quarters.  Although, I usually buy a half yard because I can't bear to be left with nothing!



I made a pieced back which I'm not convinced is a good thing - it was a nightmare to try and align, as I guess, my quilts are usually pretty big!  I loved the main fabric that I used.  I'm sure I had a skirt just like that when I was 6 or 7.  When I asked my Mum, she said it was from Woolworths!  My sister had one in a different colour.  Very 70's!



I always buy the binding when I have finished the front because the quilt usually tells me what would look best.  I love the addition of the white in binding, it seems to lift the other fabrics.  I got it from here.  Though I think it may be out of stock at the moment in this colourway.



As is the norm, I hand-quilted around each square using a bright pink cotton.



It brightened up a greyish day in the garden earlier, blowing in the breeze from my pergola.



14 comments:

  1. it's wonderfully happy! the hand quilting must have taken some time though. quilt making for our beds is long overdue (been on the list for ages) but coming here and seeing your quilts always inspires me.
    love ginny x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful. I love the colours, I'm not sure I could bear to give it away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so cheerful. The recipient is very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is gorgeous! You have used some lovely fabrics and colour combinations. Your work always looks so modern and fresh. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's fabulous. It makes me wantbto abandon the boring houseworky plans I had for the afternoon and go off to raid my fabric stash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness, that's pretty! I'm not sure I could bring myself to hand it on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it's simply stunning! And now you've led me to another addictive fabric website... K x

    ReplyDelete
  8. really gorgeous colours ! love it. and hurray for a commission xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning quilt. Beautiful work.xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is adorable, not scratch that it is stunning and I love it

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG

    it is divine

    I go to print some photos for you now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is stunning... such beautiful colours.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for leaving me a comment, I really enjoy reading them and I will try to reply if I can find an email address for you...